How To Refocus Objections
Personal Business Skills Articles
Submit Articles Back to Articles
Objections are simply needs you haven't clarified - yet
So many people are worried about handing objections that their focus is a negative one.
I am not saying objections don't happen nor that they should be ignored - of course not! I am saying think about them differently and you may get different results
Of course there is no right way or wrong way - just a way that works for you to get you the results you need.
So think of objections as needs you haven't clarified - yet
For example: Objection: the price is too high
Possible reasons a buyer might think that
1. An excuse when the buyer can't or won't make a decision
2. Other people have quoted less and all the buyer is focusing on is bottom line price
3. The buyer has a budget, which is lower than the price you quoted, with no authority to negotiate
(There may be many more reasons too)
Possible reasons this has been raised at all
1. You have focused on price and not the value and benefits
2. You haven't addressed price/budget fully in your needs analysis stage
3. You have "heard" price is the issues when it's not the REAL issue
4. You believe your price is too high
(There may be more reasons for this too)
So how might you limit the objection being raised in the first place? One way is to
1. Identify what's really important to the buyer - personally and professionally i.e. what will motivate his decision to buy/recommend/refer
2. Check the parameters and ranking of what's important with the buyer i.e. is X more or less important than Y
3. Clarify what you have heard by replaying it back to the buyer i.e. "you said this which I understood as that. Is that correct?"
This is a huge area with many training courses designed to help you handle it better. Of course you could save your money and time by simply changing your mindset from one of "What objections might I get?" to "How can I make sure I listen well and address my clients needs as fully as I am able?" Focus on what you can do and the positive way you can help and not on the negative assumption that any question is an objection in disguise.
Discuss what works with other people and discover how you might approach people and situations differently. Find what works for other people.
"A desire can overcome all objections and obstacles" Anon
So look for or create the desire to buy, in your ideal clients, and perhaps many real and/or perceived objections will no longer exist.
About the Author
Beverley Hamilton works with independent business consultants to help them grow a profitable consultancy and still have time for their life. You can get my Free Ecourse Discover the 5 Most Common Incorrect Assumptions Independent Business Consultants Make and a complimentary subscription to Quickstart, the newsletter specifically for consultants. Go to One Step Further for more instantly accessible resources. Your future Your choice!
Follow us @Scopulus_News
Article Published/Sorted/Amended on Scopulus 2006-11-14 17:16:10 in Personal Articles
Copyright © 2004-2020 Scopulus Limited. All rights reserved.