Integrated Management Systems
Submit Articles Back to Articles
The old favorite ISO9001, quality Management Standard, is often combined with
ISO14001, Environmental Management Standard and more and more a three way
integration is being called for. The third element is BS OHSAS 18001,
Occupational Health & Safety Standard. The advantage of having a truly
integrated system is that there are elements of all three Standards that are
similar or the same:
- All three Standards have a document control requirement;
- The control of records is specified in all three Standards;
- Training, competence & awareness is seen in all three Standards;
- All three Standards have a requirement for internal auditing;
- Management review is seen as the lynch pin for all the Standards;
- Monitoring and measuring devices are used in each Standard;
- Continual Improvement is key to all three;
- Corrective action and Preventive Action are prime requirements.
It is clear with this amount of synergy, the effort in putting the standards
into place can be greatly reduced, as can the costs. The benefits to the
organisation can be immense and the incorporation of an integrated management
system says a great deal about you:
- It says in clear and unequivocal terms that you care about the quality of
your products and/or services.
- You care about the degree to which your customers are satisfied.
- You care about the environment and the effect your operation is having on
- You care about the health, safety and welfare of your employees,
contractors and visitors.
And finally that you are sufficiently confident to get these systems
externally tested and certificated. Many Companies looking to place contracts
and purchase goods are looking for organisations that have ISO9001 and
increasingly have green credentials as well and look after their staff and can
demonstrate it. An Integrated System is the answer.
About the Author
Chris Eden FIBC, MISSA, ACQI is a director of Quality Matters Limited an
established independent management consultancy based in Essex, UK which
Environmental Management consultancy.
Follow us @Scopulus_News
Article Published/Sorted/Amended on Scopulus 2008-07-11 13:38:47 in Computer Articles