Font Size

Letting a room in your home


Lawdit Solicitors - Expert Author

Legal Articles
Submit Articles   Back to Articles

22 June 2009

If you are considering letting the whole of your property then you will need an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement.

On the other hand, if you wish to let a room or rooms in your house whilst living there yourself, then you will need a House Sharing Agreement.

A House Sharing Agreement covers the use of shared areas such as the kitchen, bathroom, lounge or garden. This agreement will cover all aspects of sharing a property, including:

- Payment of rent

- Whether the room is let on a furnished or unfurnished basis

- Payment of utility bills

- Determine which areas are to 'shared' between the lodger and landlord

Note: Unlike an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, a House Sharing Agreement cannot be for a fixed period and will only run from week to week and can be terminated by one party giving notice to the other.

Inam Ali is a Solicitor at Lawdit, specialising in Commercial and Intellectual Property Law, and can be contacted via email:

About the Author

Lawdit Solicitors offer services and advice for litigation, commercial contracts, Intellectual Property and IT legal agreements. We are experts in commercial law with a heavy emphasis on Intellectual Property, Internet and e-commerce law. Lawdit is a member of the International Trademark Association, the Solicitors' Association of Higher Court Advocates and we are the appointed Solicitors to the largest webdesign association in the world, the United Kingdom Website Designers Association.

Follow us @Scopulus_News

Article Published/Sorted/Amended on Scopulus 2009-07-05 18:07:34 in Legal Articles

All Articles

Copyright © 2004-2021 Scopulus Limited. All rights reserved.